The collection of fire fighting pumps contains devices without which it is impossible to successfully extinguish fires – firefigting pumps. The collection was created in 1994 at the opening of the Croatian Fire Museum and is gradually being filled. The collection contains objects from the second half of the 19th century to the beginning of the second half of the 20 th century. The visitor can see the fire equipment used before using motorized vehicles. In the collection, we recognize 4 groups of objects by the way the devices are run.
We have 7 hand-operated fire pumps. Two pumps are on a cart intended to be pushed or towed. Four pumps are on a horse-drawn cart, while one is without cart. These were the major firefighting devices in the 19th and early 20th centuries, until the introduction of internal combustion-powered pumps. Most of these items belonged to the First Croatian Voluntary Firefighting Brigade in Varaždin, and firefighters from Varaždin attended the interventions with them from the courtyard where the Museum is located today. Even today there are a large number of these pumps in voluntary fire departments and are exhibited in yards or firehouses.
The transitional stage between manual powered pumps and internal combustion engines powered pumps were steam-powered pumps. The collection includes a steam-powered pump from 1905. VFD Cvetkovic provided this pump to the Croatian Fire Association and is on display at the Museum.
The collection also contains 10 fire pumps with internal combustion engines. All items are portable, carried by 2 to 4 firefighters. One unit is on a trolley, while one is on a trailer carrying fire extinguishing equipment. Firefighters would hook this trailer to a van and drive it to the fire.
We also have 2 injectors that were used to pump water and operate on the principle of vacuum.